Sunday, August 4, 2013

Motivation!!

 
I don’t know about you, but after a vacation, I always find myself in a rut.  For usually a good week or two after getting back, I eat whatever I want (this usually comes in the form of some type of ramen noodles, pizza, and definitely in a lot of sugar), I have no energy for household chores, and my workouts tend to be few and far between.
 
 I don’t know if it’s that the bikini has safely been unpacked and put back in the drawer where it belongs or if I’m honestly just exhausted from traveling.  Or could it be that bad habits take so little time to set in that I bring my vacation mode back home with me?  Whatever the cause, I am definitely starting to see a pattern in my behavior: work hard, work really, really hard, go on vacation and veg, come home and work a teeny tiny bit, but mostly veg.  And vegging quickly becomes a full time gig for me.
 
 So, what to do?  How to snap out of my rut and go for a run?  MOTIVATION!!
 
 I had to find some motivation to get moving.  And I think I did:

 
Okay, so all you need is a little motivation and it doesn’t always have to be that serious (not that I don’t take Channing Tatum very seriously, because I so do).  Your motivation can be anything you want it to be. I think I’ve mentioned before that I gather a great deal of motivation from chocolate chip cookies.  Your motivation can be as big or as small as whatever works for you.  Of course long term goals are very important to keep in your sights, but they don’t always do the trick for getting you through every day and every run.  My current long term goal (26.2 miles) is pretty far down the road.  I won’t even technically start training for it for months, so while it’s there in the back of my mind, it isn’t what is getting me out of bed way too early on the weekends. 
 
 What I am trying to say is that we are all responsible for our own motivation.  Motivation is all around us, we just have to latch on to it and use it to move us.  When you feel like you just can’t get up and get on with it, find something, anything, and let it get you started.  That’s the hardest part, getting started.  Once you’ve found the motivation to get started, you’ve found enough.
 
 And when you can’t think of anything to get you started, I’m fine with you borrowing Channing Tatum.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment