Friday, June 30, 2017

Too Hot To Handle

You know the weather's bad when this is what you get....

Houston, we have a problem.

You guys, the weather here is H-O-T, humid!!  I've had to take to running in the early, pre-dawn (literally, before the sun rises) hours just to survive my runs.  As a side note, that's why you haven't seen many posts from me recently, it's hard to see the lessons, or much of anything at all, in the pitch black.  Also, photos don't come out so great at that hour either.

Last week, we flew up to Indiana to visit Paul's family.  The high temperatures while we were there hovered in the low 70's.  Oh my goodness, I have never been so happy to run Indiana as I was last week.  One day I checked the weather while I was running and it was 67 degrees with less than 20% humidity.  I ran like the wind in Indiana.  I don't think people realize the effect that heat and humidity have on a run.  Last week, all of my runs averaged at least one minute per mile faster than my average morning Houston runs.  Does anyone else notice such a big change in their running based on weather? 


67 degree running reaction (*note - this is not me. This is how I felt.  Not how I looked)
   
Now we are back in Houston and I'm back to running in the dark and apparently unregisterable (new word) weather.  As much as I love our summers for poolside drinking, easy trips to the beach, and great tans, Houston summers were not made for running.  Or, at least, I was not made for running Houston summers.
 
Oh by the way, the weather did finally pop up after my run.  Feels like 88 with 91% humidity!?!?  That's just too hot to handle.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment