Sunday, June 30, 2013

Running Proud

Happy Pride!


I planned today to write about the monumental decisions made this week by the U.S. Supreme Court regarding gay marriage.  This week the Supreme Court recognized what so many of us have known for so long: We are all in this long run together and it doesn't matter how you get to the finish line.  What matters is how you treat your fellow runners on the way to the finish line.  I had every intention of running in honor of and writing all about my joy over this week's events. 

That is, until I read this and realized it had already been written, and written perfectly: http://momastery.com/blog/2013/06/24/i-love-gay-people-and-i-love-christians-i-choose-all/
PLEASE click this link. 

What I will say on the topic is that getting and being married to the person I love with every ounce of my body, heart, and soul has been the greatest thing I have ever done.  I remember thinking that the simple act of saying some vows and signing a legal document wouldn't really change or enhance our relationship, but it has.  Getting married changed everything and in a way that I can't accurately put into words, but feel with every fiber of my being.  I just KNOW that it matters.  And what I also just KNOW is that what the Supreme Court did this week was RIGHT.  It was the RIGHT thing to do and I am thrilled that so many wonderful women and men are going to get to experience the fiber-changing thrill of marriage!!!

So, that's what I thought I would be writing about today.  But, you should know something about this blog.  I really make these runs and I really  think about what I want to say while I run.  It usually happens one of three ways: (1) I have an idea of what I want to talk about and I use the run to focus on that idea and expand on it; (2) I have no idea what I'm going to write and I just let the freedom of the run open me up to ideas; or (3) I have an idea of what I'm going to write, but then find that the run changes it all.  Today's run was one of those runs.

As I ran proud, three words kept coming through to me:  PEOPLE ARE GOOD.

I don't know where exactly this thought was coming from.  I think that it was because as I was thinking of the Supreme Court rulings, I also had to think of the vitrol, ignorance, and fear that surrounded the rulings.  Also, this week in Texas our legislature met to vote on a bill that would effectively eliminate a woman's right to choose.  I probably don't have to tell you that this process had its fair share of vitrol, ignorance, and fear.  Yet, while thinking of all of the bigotry and sexism that went on this week, all that I could hear was: PEOPLE ARE GOOD.

And you know what?  PEOPLE ARE GOOD.  Sure, people can be uneducated, afraid of change, skeptical, and damaged.  But at our core, PEOPLE ARE GOOD.  How do I know?  Let me tell you.  A month or two ago I started a plan to make a weekly donation to a worthy charity in order to help me feel better about myself.  What I've found is that there are thousands and thousands of worthy charities out there run by people who want to give voice, change, and hope to those who can't find it for themselves.  I could make a daily donation to these charities and never run out of worthy charities.  What I see every week when looking for where to make my donation is that for every injustice out there, there are groups of people fighting to right the wrong.  PEOPLE ARE GOOD and they want to make this long run better for everyone.  Even for donkeys.  That's right, there are people out there who even want to make life better for some abandoned donkeys.  This world is full of people doing good.  Daily I find and am inspired by "ordinary" people just like me who are devoted to making this world a better place.  I am inspired by these people and I am reassured by these people. 
 
Let me tell you about another small way in which I am reassured of the GOOD in people.  Paul's mom is regulated to a wheelchair or on some occasions she can manage a very, very slow and labored walk.  As you can imagine, this can cause some difficulty in getting out of the house and around.  But let me tell you, PEOPLE ARE GOOD.  In all of our trips out of the house people have never failed to be anything short of wonderful towards us.  Waiters, flight attendants, and average Joes have shown us kindness beyond courtesy.  I have seen people jump up and hold the door for us for at least five minutes.  They could have been out of the door, into their car, and long gone before we ever made it and yet there they are, total strangers, going out of their way for us.  PEOPLE ARE GOOD.  It is our very nature to be good.  I just KNOW it. 
 
How do you KNOW that PEOPLE ARE GOOD?  Does it come into your life in thousands different ways like it does mine?  Do you take it for granted like I do?  Maybe if we could just start recognizing and honoring the GOOD IN PEOPLE, we could put an end to the vitrol, ignorance, and fear out there. 
 
If you have ever taken a yoga class then you have probably uttered the word "namaste."  Namaste can be translated loosely to "not me, but you" and is often taken as "the light in me sees the light in you."  What if we all did a little namaste-ing??  What if we all recognized the light in each other? 
 
So, carrying on with my earlier goal of finding something to to be grateful for on each run, I am gratful for the light in people.  For the GOOD IN PEOPLE. 
 
Namaste.
 
Oh and also, I ran right past this on my run today:
Pride!

 

An honest to goodness charity to rescue misplaced donkeys. 

No comments:

Post a Comment