Sunday, September 22, 2013

Puttin' a Little Good Out There

You may remember several months ago I wrote about struggling with a negative self image and resolved to start making donations to charities in hopes of putting a little good out there to offset the negative I was putting in. I wish I could tell you that it has cured me of my self-esteem issues. Unfortunately, I am realizing self-esteem is something I may struggle with for quite some time to come. What I can tell you, is that it has significantly increased my awareness. Every time I make an ugly comment about myself (still far too often), I can hear it for what it is (a useless waste) and I think that's going to help me overcome the habit. 

What it has done though, is made me realize that I am capable of effecting a positive change in this world. And let me tell you, knowing that you can have an impact on the world is an infinitely more powerful feeling than looser fitting jeans. What has come from my simple self esteem project has been bigger than I ever anticipated. 

A few weeks ago a friend of mine challenged me to put my actions where my wallet was. She not so subtly mentioned that I might get more from actually volunteering than just making payments.  When the universe sends you not so subtle hints, it's my suggestion that you listen up. This week marked the beginning of my volunteering for the Girls On The Run program. Through Girls On The Run, I meet twice a week with 15 girls in third through fifth grade. Through physical activity, specifically running, we teach the girls about feeling healthy, confident, and strong. I love the GOTR program!!  The idea that setting and reaching physical goals can help girls grow to be self-assured and self-aware in all aspects of their lives is so exciting to me!  Watching these little girls high five each other and yell "way to go" or "good job" as they run by one another breaks my heart wide open with happiness. 

This volunteer opportunity could not have come at a better time for me. To be honest, I was really residing in a negative place for the last couple of months. I was so stressed out at work and at home that I found myself snapping over the slightest of frustrations.  GOTR reminds me of what is really important in this world and gives me the chance to be a part of something good, and bright, and hopefully lasting.  In this world, it is so easy to get wrapped up in our own lives and our own troubles and to forget that we are not the center of the world. We are simply one part of a whole wide and diverse, yet connected world. When one part suffers, we all suffer. Volunteering, for me, has served as a reminder that I am capable of putting a little good out there for the benefit of this whole world. It's the actualization of my runner's wave. 

If you are interested in Girls On The Run or want to put a little good out there and make a donation here is a link to more information about the program (click on "get involved" to donate):
www.girlsontherun.org




No comments:

Post a Comment