Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Change the Station

This morning was another cold, dark, only-person-on-the-road kind of run.  And I was not feeling it.  I think I passed my limit on cold and dark runs about a month ago.  I'm over it.  All I could think of while I was running was how much I wanted to be back in bed.  A few minutes into this miserable run, I switched my playlist and wouldn't you know it?  The Rocky theme song started playing.  I dare you to stay in a bad mood while the Rocky song is moving you on.  You can't help but see yourself running those stairs and throwing your arms up.  Immediately following the Rocky theme, Eminem's 'lose yourself,' came on.  Sorry but, but if you aren't motivated by that song, you are stone:
 
You better lose yourself in the music, the moment
You own it, you better never let it go
You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow
This opportunity comes once in a lifetime yo.
 
This playlist got me thinking about what it takes to reach your goals.  Sometimes it takes doing what makes us a little miserable.  Runs aren't always easy or comfortable and they definitely aren't convenient, but they are what it takes to get to where you want to go.  And focusing on where you want to go and not the miserable part of getting there makes the road so much easier.  Just listening to these songs helped me find the motivation I needed to step it up a notch.  Before I knew it, I had logged my fastest post-marathon run.  And it felt good and I was happy.  All it took was switching to a better soundtrack. 
 
As in running, sometimes all we need in life is to change the station and get a better soundtrack.  You control what you listen to on your run.  When you are bombarded with the negative, I don't want tos and the I can'ts, whether they are coming from you or someone else, just turn the station.  Find something else to listen to.  Get yourself a better soundtrack and get to running on!

No comments:

Post a Comment