Saturday, March 29, 2014

Happy Birthday Me and The Best Last Long Run

Happy (late) birthday to me!!!

Hey, what's a girl to do when there is a Brooks flash sale?  I'll tell you what a girl is to do, she is to stock up on the goods!!  Like I've said before, a girl can never have too many shoes!


Today was my last long run before the Diva Dash half marathon I've signed up to run in a couple of weeks. I will be honest with you, having only allowed for five weeks of training (including a week of taper) has left me feeling a touch unprepared.  Going from marathon training to almost no running to trying to pick right back up at your old training pace isn't the smartest of moves. My long runs have been okay but nothing spectacular and nowhere near my normal training paces. So, this morning as I set out for my last long run, my expectations weren't that high. 

Look, I'm not actually going to tell you that my new shoes are magic, but.....
They are pretty freaking amazing!!  First run in the new shoes and it's the fastest, longest, easiest run I have had in months!  I think I'm sold on the shoes. 

Speed has been really hard for me to find lately. It's not that I haven't been able to get in a few decent paced runs, but it has been HARD to make myself really move. I would say my natural pace (meaning, the pace I run when I'm not watching the Garmin or trying for a specific pace) has been 45 seconds slower than it used to be. Which has meant that getting near my old normal has been very hard. But today, straight out of the gate I was fast (for me). I kept trying to tell myself to slow down knowing that I had twelve miles ahead of me, but my pace only quickened. All twelve of the miles came quick and easy and by the time it was done, the confidence I've been lacking was back in full force. 
 
Running is so mental. But getting that mental game in order often relies on getting your physical game up to par. This was the best long run a girl could ever ask for!!

If I could make one wish for all runners out there (well, after the wish that you all find the inner strength and peace that this long run has to offer), it would be that you all have last long runs that leave you feeling confident and strong and ready to race!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment