Monday, June 30, 2014

Like a Girl

 
I know this commercial has been making the social media rounds lately, but I think it's worth sharing and talking about.
 
 
I hate to admit this, but I heard my husband use the phrase, "like a girl," while he was playing baseball with some friends the other day.  It felt like nails on a chalkboard to hear those words come out of his mouth and I wanted to jump up and start screaming at him all of the reasons why I never wanted to hear him say that phrase again.  Keep in mind, my husband is the kindest, fairest, most wonderful man I've ever met.  I know he doesn't understand the gravity of using a phrase like that and I know he doesn't mean anything by it.  But, maybe that's exactly what makes it so aggravating.  Somehow, being derogatory towards women is still so ingrained in our society that no one thinks twice about it.  How is that?  We've all come so far in so many ways, but still, women are viewed as less capable than....what?  Than everything??!?  Why is it that doing something poorly is automatically associated with doing something, "like a girl?" 
 
We all hear the phrase, "like a girl," and just let it roll off of our backs like it's no big deal.  But it is a big deal.  Women are strong and powerful and smart and funny and everything that a man is and in so many ways, so much more.  Are we different?  Of course we are.  But, we aren't less than.  We as a society have to stop saying it's okay for women to be treated (or talked about) as if they are less than.  And guess who has to lead the charge in this change?  That's right.  WOMEN.  We have to be the change we want to see.  There are too many young girls out there looking up to us.  Too many young girls who need to be told that there is nothing wrong with being "like a girl."  We have to let these young girls know what they are worth and I mean what they are intrinsically worth just because they are girls.  We have to let them know that being a girl is a precious gift to this world and we can't let them down.
 
Hell yes!


No comments:

Post a Comment