Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Love Wins

Last Friday, as I sat in the waiting room of my doctor's office ready to have the ultrasound done that would tell me if this baby is going to be a boy and a girl, the Supreme Court of the United States of America announced its ruling to make same sex marriage legal in all fifty states. 

After shedding a few waiting room tears, I started to immediately compose this blog in my head, but then realized I had already written most of it almost exactly two years ago, when the Supreme Court made two earlier decisions regarding same sex marriage.  Please read it by clicking HERE. 

I still want to add just a little more to that previous blog to try to tell you just what it meant to me on Friday.

I don't know what our little girl (yes, it's a girl!) is going to be like.  I don't know if she will be short or tall, blonde or brunette.  I don't know if she'll be a picky eater like me or adventurous like her dad.  I don't know if she'll be shy or outgoing.  Will she be good at math like Paul or will she love words like me (hopefully, both)?  I don't even know if she will fall in love with and want to marry a man or a woman (assuming she even wants to get married). 

But, what I do know now is that, thanks to the Supreme Court of the United States, marrying the person she is in love with, no matter what, will be her right.  It will be one less fight she has to fight.  One less hard life lesson I have to teach her.  One less time I have to tell her, "I know baby, it is wrong and I'm sorry." 

A funny thing happens when you get pregnant.  You start to look around at the world you're going to bring your child into and you start asking, "Is this the kind of world I want my baby to be a part of?"  "Is this world good enough for her?"  Let me be honest, there are a lot of days, usually after watching the news, when I question the goodness of this world.  I worry that I'm going to have to spend a lot of time explaining to my little girl how it is that the bad guys seem to be winning so often.  And I already dread those conversations. 
 
So, thank you Supreme Court for giving me one more opportunity to tell her about how, even when it takes a while, sometimes love really does win.

No comments:

Post a Comment