Monday, May 5, 2014

The Best Laid Plans

"The best laid plans.... often go astray."

Not so long ago I filled you in on my plan to take a month off from running. And so far, I've been really good at sticking to The Plan (she writes as she blogs from the elliptical machine). Buuuuut....I had to make an exception yesterday. Yesterday was our Girls On The Run 5k. You have to know that there is nothing I'd rather make an exception for. 


I love the GOTR program and all it stands for. And I love all of our wild, honest, and sweet girls. I am so glad I found the GOTR program last year. Volunteering with young girls and trying to teach them lessons like self-confidence through running has given me so much perspective on my own life. 

What you don't know is that almost two months ago, I had to quit teaching at GOTR. I took a new job further out of town, which made getting to the classes in the mid afternoon pretty much impossible. I sometimes don't know how much I miss it until I see the girls again (I've been able to pop in and visit a couple of times). 

Yesterday's 5k was so much fun. It was great to see the girls experience a true race day. So many of the girls pushed themselves faster than I had ever seen them train. And they laughed and talked and held hands the whole way. I'm telling you, you've never seen such a happy group of runners.  It was awesome to see all of the families lined up along the course with signs and whistles cheering the girls on. I've written before about how awesome race spectators are, but yesterday's group was pretty darn special.  I was proud to get to be a part of it. 
 
A dad running the whole way with his daughter - melts my heart. 

So, I strayed from The Plan. That's okay, I've never been happier to break my own rules. 

If you would like to learn more about or donate to the Girls On The Run organization, follow this link (I'm sending you to the Houston chapter, but there are girls on the run programs all over the country, just google Girls On The Run to find the closest to you):

One of the medals I am most proud to have earned. 



No comments:

Post a Comment