Saturday, May 24, 2014

The Life of a Super Star

The other day my friend at the office was telling me how busy she and her family were for a couple of days with various activities for her daughter and the usual mix of an overwhelming workload and school requirements. My friend said that one night her daughter ended up tears saying she was too tired and didn't want to do any more activities and just wanted to go to bed. You know what my friend told her daughter?  She said, "Honey, this is the life of a super star."

I laughed when she told me that story, but I didn't think much of it after that. In fact, what I was initially struck with was how much I related to he daughter. Lately, I too have felt way too tired, not wanted to do anything more than to just get in bed. How many times have I found myself in or near tears because of exhaustion?  Probably too many. I don't know if it is that suddenly my load really is too much to bear or if I've suddenly become unable to appropriately handle any increase in stress, or what the problem is, but I can tell you that life has become really overwhelming and exhausting. I have a sneaking suspicion that it has something to do with the fact that I spent the last several years operating in survival (or maybe the opposite of survival) mode, where feelings of exhaustion and stress didn't or couldn't even register because so much was going on. I have a feeling that now I'm a little shell shocked and over-sensitive. 

Regardless of the cause, it was in this mindset that I started out on another dark, 5:00 a.m., dreary run. And, it was in this mindset that I stayed as I ran on, questioning my sanity for forcing myself through one more exhausting activity. And then a funny thing popped into my head. I heard, "This is the life of a super star."

It came to me so clearly and before I could really even process it, l felt my mood change. My arms were pumping and my legs started really moving. Instead of feeling bogged down with the long run, I felt determined and energized. I felt like, "yeah, this is what we super stars do.  We super stars do what it takes."  Of course, super stars also make millions of dollars and are adorned with fans and fame, but let's ignore that part of it. What I was focused on that morning was that, we super stars set our sights on a particular goal and we don't let anything stop us. Super stars push on, no matter what. 

Here's a little secret for you: You are a super star too. 


Now, if this doesn't scream, "face of a super star," I don't know what does. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment