Thursday, August 14, 2014

The Views

Well, we are back at it in Houston and I can't lie, the views just aren't the same here:


Running (or to be honest, elliptical-ing) just isn't the same without being able to stare at a church or palace from the 12th century.  As lovely as our newscasters are, sweating it out in front of the TV just doesn't compare to hiking the calanques next to the Côte d'Azur. Oh Houston, I love you so, but the views here are somewhat less than inspiring. 

But still, here I am. Sweating it out and, hopefully, working a little off. Turns out, all of that bread and cheese and pasta and wine adds up and this body doesn't quite fit into my running tights like it did before we left. That's okay, I'm not complaining. I loved every minute of indulgence overseas. What would life be without bread and cheese and pasta and wine?!?  It would be no life for me and that is the truth. But, nonetheless, I am glad to be back (a little) and slowly starting to get back into my regular routine. One thing about me and my body, we crave a little routine. Even though my brain and heart rail against the monotony of it sometimes, physically, monotony is good for me. It keeps me on track and dedicated. I like, even when I complain about it, getting up early and getting my sweat on. 

I haven't run in a while though (not run since my Rocky moment in Avignon). After Avignon, I spent time sleeping in and laying out. We didn't totally shy away from physical activity. We kayaked several miles one day. Another day we hiked for hours. Every day we walked everywhere we went, which included a lot of pretty steep uphill climbs. But, no running. I know I need to, but I just haven't been able motivate myself yet. I'm going to blame it on jet lag... 

No comments:

Post a Comment