Sunday, October 5, 2014

Race For The Cure - Race Recap

Yesterday I ran the Susan G. Komen Race For The Cure.  This race isn't new to me.  It was my third or fourth time to run and every year I think I love it more and more.  The Race For the Cure is probably the one competitive race out there that really has nothing to do with racing.  The event is the thing, the race is so secondary.  If you can make it through a Race For The Cure without shedding at least a tear are two, I seriously question your humanity. 
 

Someone was giving an interview over the loud speaker yesterday and when asked what she saw when looking out over the crowd, her response was, "A sea of love.  A sea of support."  There went the waterworks for me.  Because yes, that's exactly what the Susan G. Komen race is all about.  It's an awesome show of love and support.  It's thousands of people in the same place feeling the same things: love and support.  It's thousands of people who have been touched in some way by this disease and have come together to remember the losses and celebrate the successes.  I cannot tell you what it means to me to be a teeny, tiny part of that sea of love and support. 
 
Right before the race started, we all took a moment of silence.  This year I took that moment to be THANKFUL.  Here is what I gave thanks for:
 
1.  Everyone standing next to me.  I was thankful to every single person who showed up and was a part of all of the positivity. 
 
2.  Everyone who donated to my fundraiser.  I cannot express this well enough.  I am honored by the generosity of people (if you still want to donate, it's not too late, click here for the link).  THANK YOU.
 
3.  My health.  I am so thankful that I have a body that allows me to run.  I do not take for granted that there are many people out there whose bodies prevent them from doing what I do.  Right there, in that moment of silence, I decided to always honor the gift of my healthy body by using it while I have it.  I don't know how long I have to run, but right now, while I can, I'm going to run!  And, I'm going to run with gratitude in my heart.
 
 
Okay, you came here for a race recap, so here are the details:
 
  • The weather was AHmazing!!  By the time the race started, it was about 63 degrees and sunny.  I don't think there was a cloud in the sky.  It was perfect racing weather.
  • I did this race all by myself and that felt a little odd.  Normally there is at least someone I know racing with me.  But, because I waited until the last minute to commit to running, I didn't have a race buddy.  The Hubs drove me there and dropped me off, but after that I was on my own.  Not sure how I felt about it.  Glad that I can do things like race on my own, but also it was really lonely.
  • I actually raced really well. The first half mile was super slow (I find it always is with really big races), but once I was able to break out of the crowd, I ran like crazy.  I placed 14th in my division.  Which leads me to ask, are women between 30-35 not running?!?!?!  Seriously, am I the only one in this division running?  Where are you ladies my age?
  •  I can't say enough about the organization of this race.  It's huge and always seems to go off without a hitch.  The Komen Race For The Cure is a well oiled machine.
 
  • This run was the day immediately following my long run.  Normally, I take the day after a long run off.  My body was not happy with me after the race.  My left foot is in a ton of pain and my calves and hips are crazy tight.  I will be doing some serious foam rolling today.  It was worth it, but it was also a good reminder that I need to take serious care of my body while I'm training. 
 
Post-race banana. 
 

Here is the deal ladies: DO YOUR MONTHLY SELF EXAMS!!!!  We runners focus so much on the exercise component to physical fitness, but we've got to stay on top of our total heath.   Self breast exams are easy and take no time and are so important.

No comments:

Post a Comment