Thursday, September 25, 2014

Doing It Again (and taking donations)

You may remember that last year I participated in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in honor of my friend Denise (read about it here and here).  Well, I've decided to do it again.  Turns out I'm not done giving breast cancer the big FU.


I wasn't planning on doing it again.  Sure, I'd seen the Susan G. Komen e-mails flooding my inbox in the last few months, but I'd absentmindedly deleted them all as they came in.  It was nothing personal, but running the Race For the Cure just wasn't in the forefront of my mind. 

Then, I opened the mailbox last week and found this:
No runner turns down a free race bib.
The Race For the Cure group sent me a race bib for my fundraising last year.  And, that's when it hit me like a ton of bricks: How could I not be running?!?!  How could I not be fundraising?!?!  How in the time span of just one year could I have let something so important to me slip so far out of my mind?!?  How could I have forgotten?!?
 
This is how:  DENISE IS HEALTHY!  In the time span of one year my friend has been diagnosed, fought, and eliminated breast cancer!  What I realized upon opening that envelope was that I have been taking her health (and the health of all my lady loves) for granted.  But, that's exactly why I need to run and raise.  Because these treatments DO work.  Because these treatments SAVE LIVES.  Because the money I can raise will go towards making sure many more people can take their health for granted.  I need to run and raise to make sure that there are  more survival stories like Denise's.  I want to make sure that people who face this disease have the resources and treatments they need to be cancer free a year later.  I need to run and raise to do my part in eliminating this disease all together.  I want us all to take our health and the health of our loved ones for granted. 
 
Here is what I'm asking:
1. Please donate!!  And, please donate right away.  I know our normal inclination is to think, "yeah, I should do that," close the page with all intentions of donating later, and forget about it.  The race is in two weeks, so I don't have time to be forgotten.  Donate anything, $1, $10, $100.  Just please donate.
2.  Pass this on.  Pass it on to as many people as you know.  Together we can make a difference. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment