Sunday, October 6, 2013

FU BC

Yesterday morning my friends and I gathered for the Susan G. Komen Race For The Cure in support of our wonderful friend Denise. To-date, team Crazy Fox Tales has raised over $10,000 and I am so proud of us!  


I was the only team member who opted to participate in the competitive run. It had been a pretty long time since I'd entered and run a race, so it was good to shake off the racing cobwebs. I'm not used to running races alone, so it was a little different for me but a good thing. As I stood waiting for the start, race officials read the names of all the women teams were running in memory of. It was pretty overwhelming. I couldn't help but think of my wonderful brave friend and as those names were read, I decided I was going to run my ass off for Denise. 


And run my ass off I did. As always, I forgot to hit stop on my Garmin when I crossed the finish line, so I'm still waiting on final race results to figure out my exact pace. What I can tell you is that it was unbelievably hot and humid and as I waited for the rest of my team, sweat literally poured off of me. I will not be posting any post-run photos, that's for sure!!  One thing about the Komen race is that it is HUGE!  I don't know the number of participants off the top of my head, but it's in the big thousands, I am sure. I spent the first half (if not more) of the race dodging other runners and walkers. Running to the left and right and hopping up on curbs and medians. I'd forgotten about the log jam of runners that occurs at the start of huge races and then remembered that I find it very frustrating. Something I'm going to have to think on for the marathon. 

After the race, the timing was perfect for me to loop around and walk with the rest of my team. What a great time. If you ever get the chance to participate in the Race For The Cure, I would recommend it. The whole event is touching and motivating. I dare you to get through without at least tearing up once. 

These are pictures of Denise walking down the Survivor Path. Now if these aren't examples of pictures being worth a thousand words, I don't know what is. 

Thank you to all who donated. If you are still interested in donating, the link is still open and in the Doing It For Denise Post. 




No comments:

Post a Comment