Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Things I Have and Have Not Done

Things that I have done recently:

Just the other day I did this -




It's official.  I am registered to run the Scott & White BCS Half Marathon in December.  This race will take place in the town where I went to college and, I think, even go through a part of my campus.  As soon as I stumbled on this race I knew I wanted to run it.  This race is the highest ranked Texas marathon according to marathonguide.com (according to the race website), which is the first thing that sparked my interest.  No, the location first sparked my interest, then the idea of participating in a highly ranked race.  Visiting my alma mater is always fun.  Although, I am pretty sure my husband would prefer there be a football game going on while we were there.


And then today I did this-


 
Now this one I haven't been able to find much info on, so I was a little hesitant.  But, it is part of a race series that I have heard of, so that convinced me to pull the trigger.  Actually, what really convinced me is the date of the race.  I've been bitten by the race bug recently and I didn't want to wait until December to run.  So, I looked at where I am currently long run mileage-wise and it fell pretty perfectly on the weekend I should be ready to run a half marathon.  Plus, the race isn't too far from my parents' house, so maybe I can convince them to come cheer me on.  That said, judging by the start time listed, I might not be able to convince anyone to show up at that ungodly hour just to watch me run by and wave.
 

So, you know I had to do this:



 
Look, a new training program just calls for new running shoes.  Period.  Bottom line.  End of Story.  But does it call for two pairs??  Because I'm kind of thinking it does....

Things I haven't done:

This - 

 

 
We have been having incredible morning weather in Houston this week and I am dying to get out and run in it.  But, because of my work schedule and after-work schedule, I haven't been able to get outside and run.  It's been 5:00 a.m. trips to the gym for me so far this week (I've gotten kind of funny lately about running outside in the pitch black of the early mornings).  It's killing me not to be taking advantage of this rare weather.
 
Or this - 


I have yet to download or start following a training schedule.  I don't know if it's denial, or what, but I have been doing my own thing running-wise lately.  I have had no interest in following a schedule.  A wise man recently told me (and by wise man, I mean complete stranger on twitter), "Sometimes the training program needs to follow the runner and not the other way around,"  I'm really feeling that advice.  Two reasons: 1) I have done this enough to know how much/many I need to do to make it 13.1 miles, and 2) Listening to my mind/body is the only way I'm going to keep myself in condition to run back to back monthly half marathons.  I may pay for it come race day, but mentally, I'm just not ready to fully commit to a strict schedule.  For now, I'm enjoying changing it up with my runs and listening to myself instead of following someone else's instructions.  I often get caught up in trying to improve my times and step up training to get better results, but for now, what I'm really interested in is just running and racing more miles.  I don't have a huge desire to beat any PR's.  I'm sure that that competitive spirit will reignite soon, but for now, I just want to run how I want to run. 

No comments:

Post a Comment