Saturday, December 21, 2013

Runner Girl Interrupted

This runner girl's long run was doomed before it even started. Take for example, the weather forecast:

In Houston, weather like this translates to feeling like you're breathing through a wool sock. It isn't fun. But, still I set out. 

I have been feeling sick of my usual trail, so I decided to drive about 15 minutes away to check out a trail that I've run by a couple of times in order to try something new. And then it happened. I FORGOT MY GARMIN. Noooo!!!!  It's one thing to do a quick, short, neighborhood run without a Garmin, but a long run (even if it's "only" 12 miles) on a never before seen trail without one is unthinkable. But, still I set out. 

I set out Garmin-less in the rain and already feeling defeated. Speaking of feet, within the first three miles my shoes and socks were soaked through and every step sounded like squish-squash. By the way, even the lightest of running shoe becomes remarkably heavy when filled with rain water. I spent the run stopping and starting to take on and take off my rain jacket. By the way, once it stops raining, rain jackets, even jackets made specifically for runners, become remarkably hot. Of course, every time i would take off the jacket, the rain would start right back up again.   And wouldn't you know it, during all of the starting and stopping, I managed to turn off the Map My Run app three times, losing my mileage over and over again. Finally, I found myself hiding under a downtown bridge waiting for a downpour to ease up when I decided enough was enough. Sometimes, the smart thing is to walk away from a run. 

My husband sent me a picture of what his screen looked like when I sent him the text that I was calling the run off. I guess it wasn't such a bad idea to call it quits. 

My guess is that I ended up running about 8.5 miles of my planned 12 and I can only imagine that my pace was a half a notch above walking.  Not the run I had set out for. It was a run interrupted and interrupted and finally abandoned.   

As you know, I'm not normally a fan of quitting, but every now and then, you just have to know your limitations, dry off, and then vow to tackle the run another day. 



No comments:

Post a Comment