Friday, December 5, 2014

Single (Digit) Minded Thinking

Well, we are officially single digit numbers away from race day.  In nine days I will have run my last half marathon for the year.  2014 training will be over.  And that's got me thinking....

 
Pre-Race Thinking.

I can't help but thinking I'm under prepared.  As I the race approaches and the realization that in nine days I have to run 13.1 miles hits me, I can't help but second guess myself.  I can't help but think I didn't train long enough or hard enough.  I know it sounds crazy because I've spent a long time in training (due to almost back-to-back half-marathons) and I've followed my training program really well, but there is still that voice whispering, "it's not enough."  I think this feeling simply comes from the fact that a half-marathon does not take as long to train for as a full marathon.  Because I keep my weekly long runs at a decent distance year-round, I'm never starting from the couch-stage.  I can usually get in shape distance-wise relatively quickly for a half marathon.  Maybe it's because of that that I find myself always doubting my preparation as a race approaches.

I'm also starting to think about tapering.  Knowing that this weekend's long run is the last significant run I will do before the race is a weird feeling.  I may throw in a short easy run early next week, but I am basically down to one more training run.  Tapering is such a weird feeling.  You know that your legs need the break, but your brain starts going a little crazy while you wait to run.

Post-Race Thinking.

I'm not going to lie, I've already got my eyes on a nice little training break starting in ten days.  I'm not going to say that I won't run at all for the rest of the year, but I sure won't do any training for the rest of 2014.  I don't know exactly how to explain it, but running while you're training is just different than running for the sake of running alone.  It has that "have to" element to it and after months and months, it feels less like a choice and more like a job.  I'm looking forward to a nice little break.
 
And, knowing that I have a nice little break coming up has me thinking of what I'm going to do with my extra time.  No. 1 on the list: drinking on Fridays!  What can I say?  It's the holiday season and I don't need any more reason that that for wanting some Friday wine.  Also on my list for things to do with my spare non-training time: Bar Method.  I have noticed that my muscles just aren't what they were earlier this year.  I've only been averaging about 2 classes per week lately and I am SO ready to get back to 4 classes a week.  I can't tell you, although I always do,  what Bar Method does for making me feel strong and lean and what feeling strong and lean does for my self-esteem.  Okay, so that's about it.  After nine days, drinking and Bar Method are going to be my main goals for the remainder of 2014.  They may not noble, or very compatible goals, but nonetheless, they sound good to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment