Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Resolution Retrospect

As 2014 draws to a close, I thought it an appropriate time to look back at my 2014 resolutions to see just how well I did at sticking to my goals for the year.  Let me go ahead and warn you, this isn't going to be pretty. 
 
 
Here goes....
 
1. Running with water.  FAIL.  Despite receiving not one, but two, running water bottles (one to strap around my waist and one to slip around my hand) for Christmas in 2013, I still managed to complete all of my training runs while carrying no water whatsoever.  Don't get me wrong, I know how terrible this is.  I know how important hydrating is.  I just couldn't seem to remember to grab one of my water bottles on my way out of the door.  Maybe 2014 was the year of memory loss.  Luckily for me though, there are numerous water fountains along the trails I run, so even though I didn't carry it with me, I was able to hydrate some while I ran.
 
2.  Running with buddies.  UBER FAIL.  With the exception of this one half marathon I ran with two friends, my runs were spent in solitary.  I just never get asked to run with anyone.  Maybe it's me??
 
3.  Hills.  FAIL.  Are you starting to pick up on a trend here?  I could have probably guessed I'd fail on this one the minute after I wrote it back in 2013.  I do not like hills.  In theory, I'm a huge fan of them.  In execution though, nope, hate 'em.  I know hills are amazing for your training and I know I should work them in more often (you know, even just once), but 2014 was the year of flat runs.
 
4.  Foam rolling and stretching.  MINOR FAIL.  Okay, so on this one I wasn't a complete and utter failure, but I still wouldn't say I was great.  Foam rolling is something that I do pretty well.  This is probably because it's done laying down (my favorite position after a run)and  I know what a huge effect it has on my legs.  I realize that foam rolling is one of the best preventative measures I can take to avoid knee pain and avoiding knee pain is a huge motivator for me.  But stretching is another story.   I've really been terrible at stretching this year.  I think this year has felt especially busy and especially rushed, which caused me to cut nice long stretches out of my post-run routine.  Thankfully, The Bar Method forces me to get some good stretches in at least a few times a week. 
 
5.  Races.  PASS(ish).  This year I completed one full marathon, three half marathons, and one 5k.  I am very proud of the number of long distance races I completed.  However, I'm a little less proud of myself for only entering one 5k.  5k races are so fun and great Saturday morning starters.  I think this one will have to be a rollover resolution into 2015.
 
6.  Warming up.  FAIL.  Yeah, I just suck at this.  Sure, I start slow, but it's not so much for the purpose of warming up as it is simply out of necessity because my body is usually screaming, "Oh hell no.  Not this again." 
 
7.  Rest.  WORK IN PROGRESS.  I'm working on it.  I'm really working on it.  And, I think I'm getting a little better at it.  I know it sounds crazy to say that resting has become one of my major life goals, but with my recent health issues, I truly have moved rest on up around no. 1 on the resolutions list.  2014 started off crazy, hectic, and overwhelming, but lately, I've started to make real progress in the slowing down and relaxing department.  Just ask my waistline.  Now I just need to find that happy medium between rest and lazy.  Like I said, work in progress.
 
8.  Enjoy running.  SUCCESS!!  I can honestly say that I have enjoyed running this year more than any other year in my life.  In 2014, I finally feel like I've hit my stride as a runner.  I actually told someone the other day, "I'm a runner," and for the first time in my life, I felt like I was telling the whole and honest truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment