Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Lonely

This was the gym when I walked in this morning:

 
Okay, I know I go pretty early, but it wasn't that early.  I mean, this is just plain old creepy, scary movie type stuff.  You know, if there had ever in the history of man been a scary movie set in a gym (there hasn't been.  I googled it.  Well, except 'Carrie.'  But, that was a different type of gym).  So setting aside the creep factor, what's up with the empty gy?   Has the holiday slacking really begun?
 
Do you suffer from holiday slacking?  Do you stop getting in your usual workouts during November and December only to start back fresh in January?  If so, and judging from the gym today, you aren't alone. 
 
Personally, I don't have this problem.  The holidays are usually right around the time I'm stepping up my workouts.  This is for two reasons: 1) I'm usually training for a marathon/half marathon.  The Houston Full/Half Marathon, which I have run 3 of the last 4 years, is in January, so November and December usually find me really getting into the long runs; and 2) Two words: calorie + deficits.  I LOVE eating holiday foods.  I can't imagine passing up the mashed potatoes and gravy, and you know I'm not passing up the Christmas cookies (or the wine).  Here is the thing, I'm just not that into feeling guilty about food.  I enjoy eating.  I enjoy eating big meals with family.  I enjoy eating cookies pretty much all day, every day.  Getting in good runs beforehand helps me feel good about myself and skip all of the guilt.  
 
PS -- Even if you don't get in good workouts, please skip the guilt.  We have so many more things to worry about in this world than how much we eat during the holidays.
 
PPS -- Retail chains are catching all kinds of the heat for being open on Thanksgiving.  Well, WTH 24 Hr. Fitness?!?!  Give me (and your employees) a break!!  Judging by today's day-before-Thanksgiving turnout, there is no need to be open tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment