Monday, November 10, 2014

Treadmill Torture/Motorized Motivation

The recent daylight savings time change has pushed most of my evening runs indoors and onto the treadmill. And, let me tell you something:

TREADMILL = DREADMILL

Is it me or are treadmill runs interminable?  Even the shortest of runs seem to drag on and on.  I think it has something to do with how easy it would be to stop. On outdoor runs, sure you can stop running, but you can't stop moving.  Even if you stop running, you can't be done. You have to walk or crawl or drag yourself back to where you started. There's just no getting out of it. But on a treadmill, it's so easy to stop. That big red 'stop' button is sitting right there ready for the pushing.  


So, today as I struggled mentally to finish my 4+ treadmill miles, I tried to use David Coligado as my motivation for motorized running. Y'all saw this right?!?  http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Man-Running-on-Treadmill-282021331.html  Can you imagine?!?  100 miles and 24 hours on a treadmill. David Coligado has my utmost respect. This man must be the most mentally tough man walking (or running, in his case) the planet. I kept telling myself, if I was David, I would have 99 miles left, if I was David, I would have 98 miles left, and so on.  

Other tricks I use to get through those dreadmill runs:

1.  TV - one of the gyms I frequent keeps one television dedicated to the Bravo channel. Sex and The City, Fashion Police, and the Kardashians have helped me through many a mile. 

2. YouTube - the other two gyms I go to, don't have such fancy TV systems (no volume/no good channels), so I rely on YouTube to keep me distracted.  I've mentioned before that I was a gymnast in my former life, so I watch a lot of old gymnastics competitions. It kind of gets me in a competitive/motivated mindset and also takes my mind off of that big red button staring up at me. 

3. Intervals - this is key. I absolutely could not make it more than 10 minutes on a treadmill without running intervals. I start losing my mind about half a mile in if I'm just running the exact same pace for a set number if miles. I play with speed constantly. Sometimes a minute or two of straight sprinting mixed with a little walking. Sometimes just a gradual increase of speed over the miles. Sometimes I play with incline instead of speed. But, without fail, I always change it up. It's the only way I can get the miles I need. 

4. Crazy awesome music - I mean the kind of music that makes you want to run your a$$ off. Normally, when I'm just out on the road, I can listen to any type of music or even books. But, the treadmill requires a serious beat. There is no messing around with the music when I'm on that machine, only the best will do. 

What about you?  You have any tricks for finding your motorized motivation?  How do you get through the treadmill torture?



No comments:

Post a Comment